Intriguing Double Knocker 125cc Racing Bike the 1952 LEF
Quote “The machine was built by Bob Foster and Herbert Lewis, partners in the dealership Lewis, Ellis and Foster (LEF) of Watford. Work started in 1952 on a double knocker engine from drawings made by Herbert Lewis. It was built from scratch with the exception of a BTH magneto, a Norton oil pump, Triumph timing gears and a 1” GP carburettor. The bore and stroke is 55mm x 52.5mm. The camshaft and conrod with a plain end were made on site. The gearbox is 4 speed Albion racing. The frame is made from Accles and Pollock oval section tubing. The engine developed 13 bhp at about 9,000 rpm, and was capable of approximately 93mph.
A number of well known riders of the period rode the machine, including Jim Dakin, Eric Pantlin and Dave Chadwick. A number of good results were obtained at short circuits including Mallory Park, Thruxtion and Silverstone. The best result was 5th place at the 1956 TT with David Chadwick on board. The last outing was at Brooklands approximately two/three years ago.”