Quote :- ”In 1896, Dr. Edwin J. Fithian, of Portersville, Pa., applied for a patent of a 2-cycle gas cylinder that could convert a steam engine into a gas engine. This was very successful and the “half-breed” engine was born. He soon teamed with John Carruthers, an excellent machinist and manager, to keep up with the demand. Not long after, a complete 2-cycle gas engine was also being manufactured. The new firm chose the name Bessemer Gas Engine Co. for their growing factory.
At this time, the steel industry was expanding in Pittsburgh, with the addition of the new Bessemer converter to make consistently high-quality steel. This was designed by Sir Henry Bessemer, 1813-1898, an English inventor who designed his process in 1856. To feed Pittsburgh’s appetite for iron ore, the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad was formed. The northern terminal was Conneaut, Ohio, where the lake boats could discharge their cargos of iron ore with the huge Hulett unloaders directly into the railroad cars. This railroad still exists today.
So with the name of Bessemer being synonymous with success and progress, why not use it for the new firm? It seems that the growing engine maker did just that. Note that this connection is the author’s supposition and not documented fact. With the oil boom in that era and the demand for quality engines, the business grew. They were always securing new markets and making improved design changes. After many mergers, Bessemer still exists today, although no longer in Grove City, Pa. Bessemer merged with G. & C. Cooper of Mt. Vernon, Ohio, in 1929 to form Cooper-Bessemer. The name was changed to Cooper Industries in 1965. Today, they are the Compression Systems part of Cameron International Corp., based in Houston, Texas.”